The Big Bike Ride in Gambia, West Africa. (Please note that information on this page is approximate and will be corrected nearer to the event). Caravan Challenges is organising a fun charity bicycle ride in the Gambia in order to raise funds for Caravan of Mercy projects in West Africa. If you are up for an adventure and would like to experience African rural village life and culture first hand, then don’t delay, sign up as we have limited spaces. The cycle route is short and easy-going but make sure you get some cycle practice before you come.
• Departures from location of your choice, eg. London, Birmingham or Manchester.
• Trip event from; 24th January to 3rd February 2021.
• Registration Fee: £50.00 + Bike Challenge cost £700.
• Each participant will submit a separate payment of £700.
• Return flight ticket. To make things easier for all, tickets will have to be arranged individually (for 24th January) as participants live in different parts of the country.
The £700 payment will cover the following:
• Food, drinks and refreshments during the 6 days on the bike challenge.
• Accommodation (2/3- star hotels after bike challenge) based on 2 sharing.
• Travel while in the Gambia.
• Bikes and all necessary items for the bike challenge, ie. helmets, night lights, T-shirts, repair equipment etc.
• Malaria tablets, first aid, bedding where necessary.
• Site seeing on the River Gambia once we reach our final destination in Kuntaur.
• Visit to George Town and Robin Island where the locals where caged and shipped as slaves to America.
• BBQ at the caravan of Mercy Madrassa (school) in Kuntaur.
Fundraising: Each cyclist is required to raise a minimum of £1,000 for all intended projects. All donations can also be paid anytime by phone, at our office or via this website.
Who benefits? Bikes will be purchased and donated to the children of 3 Caravan of Mercy schools on behalf each participant. The students in the schools walk an average of 5 to 10 Km every day so for most, a bicycle would be a great help. The school currently provides for some 500 children.
Where does the money go? Through this initiative, we need you to help us with our target in raising £70,000 to spend on a number of valuable projects throughout Gambia and West Africa:
• Phase 2 construction for Al Medina Islamic Academy Gambia: £25,000
• Aisha Siddique Islamic Girls academy Ghana: £25,000
• Ghana water purification plant: £ 10,000
• Food distribution amongst widows, orphans & the needy Hifz students (to be distributed out by the cyclists): £10,000.
The Smiling coast of Africa This breath-taking cycle tour gives you a chance to experience rural and urban village life in rural Africa. Crossing from Banjul (the capital of Gambia) the south bank to north bank across the River Gambia. Passing James Island where the locals were caught and shipped to America during the Atlantic slave trade. Experience the wildlife, exotic animals and culture in this small Muslim country known as the ‘Smiling coast of Africa’. We are looking for people from all walks of life to take part in an amazing cycle challenge in the Gambia to provide bicycles to students studying at Caravan of Mercy educational institutes in the Gambia. There will be lots of fun and friendship along the way as cyclists of all abilities come together to take up this very special challenge. Our bike ride challenge in the Gambia is targeting to raise £70,000 to enhance the charities work in the Gambia & West Africa.
To register, use form below: